Sandy Hudson returns as UTSU Executive Director

Sandy Hudson was a member of the Toronto Star’s 2011 Youth Nation panel – Photo source: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2011/04/01/meet_the_youth_nation_panel.html

A recent article in the University of Toronto’s student newspaper, The Varsity, reports that former Canadian Federation of Students-Ontario chairperson, Sandy Hudson, has been hired by the University of Toronto Students’ Union (UTSU) as its executive director. The article explains that she was hired to the position that had recently been vacated by Amir Bashir. As of September 11, 2012, her original title, as per the UTSU’s website, was “Operations Coordinator“. Since then, the UTSU’s website has changed to reflect Ms. Hudson’s new position.

Sandy Hudson is a career student politician and her involvement in student politics dates back many years. Most recently, she was the chairperson for the Canadian Federation of Students-Ontario, a position she held for two consecutive terms (2010-2011 and 2011-2012). Before that, she was twice elected (2008-2009 and 2009-2010) president of the UTSU and finally, during the 2007-2008 academic year, she held the position of UTSU’s Vice-president Equity. She also sat on the CFS-Ontario executive as the Women’s Commissioner (2007-2008) and then on the CFS national executive as the Student of Colour representative (2008-2009). During her tenure as CFS-O’s Women’s Commissioner (2007-2008), Hudson was asked about the CFS-O’s motion (which was passed in January 2008) which threw the organization’s support behind student associations who denied club funding to pro-life groups on campus. Here’s what the The Gazette article says:

Sandy Hudson, the CFS-Ontario Women’s Commissioner, said while the motion is not meant to target religious groups, groups that oppose abortion should not be funded by students.

When asked whether Ryerson students should be exposed to both sides of the abortion issue, Hudson said allowing an anti-choice group would be like allowing a white supremacist group on campus (emphasis added).

Ladies and gentleman, if there were ever any doubts in peoples’ minds as to the existence of a “revolving door” in Canadian student politics, this is yet another perfect example of patronage at its best.